Raglan Tee with Mods

Here’s the thing about FINALLY using a “never-been-opened” pattern from years ago …. It doesn’t suit me anymore. My tastes have changed and so has my figure!

My finished top is actually a pretty standard raglan sleeve tee-shirt after  all and not the dressy style shown in the pattern with overlapping front panels. Sometimes simple design is the best, especially with such a rich batik print as above.

My finished top is actually a pretty standard raglan sleeve tee-shirt after all and not the dressy style shown in the pattern with overlapping front panels. Sometimes simple design is the best, especially with such a rich batik print as above.

So, hooray for not tossing out the $20 pattern; I gave the thing it’s chance. But I made so many modifications, the finished tee-shirt looks nothing like the sketch on the package.

 

Improvements for the next time around include narrowing the sleeve openings under the arm. The Vogue pattern did include excellent instructions about adding stay tape inside the seams to prevent stretching the neck opening.

Improvements for the next time around include narrowing the sleeve openings under the arm. The Vogue pattern did include excellent instructions about adding stay tape inside the seams to prevent stretching the neck opening.

My 2010 Vogue pattern called for a double front, which was supposed to overlap at the waist in an neat diamond. When I made my muslin mock-up, it was hopelessly unflattering. The two sides came together in a Vee but gaped at the chest and strained at the tummy.

So I opted to change the front to a single panel, I added darts, rounded the neck and shortened the overall length. I’m pretty sure I was not being a fashion coward. I feel certain I did the right thing, by making the tee-shirt into something I would actually wear.

Plenty of sewing bloggers have been reflecting lately on their own personal style, considering their palette preferences and I follow their wise methods humbly. That said, I am still willing to break out into fresh outfits and new experiences that go beyond the familiar. Trying to be brave enough for a new look.

I chose a crushed ruby batik knit for my top. Gorgeous but chock full of static electricity! I had to sew with tear away tissue top and bottom because the needle was sticking and skipping stitches.

I chose a crushed ruby batik knit for my top. Gorgeous but chock full of static electricity! I had to sew with tear away tissue top and bottom because the needle was sticking and skipping stitches.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s