Fresh foam slabs have been glued to the curved rocker frame. Now I want to test the slip-cover pattern I outlined from the original corduroy.
I outlined all the necessary pattern pieces on tracing tissue and cut them out of muslin fabric. First I installed the long zipper up the middle of the two-piece back. Then I assembled the left and right sides. Each is made up of three pieces. Next, I positioned the back under the chair and pinned on the sides. I kept seam allowances facing out so I could fine tune the fit. Begin pinning at the widest part of the chair (the hip) and work up and down.
Once the back and sides are pinned, I laid down the upper piece and pinned all around, again beginning at the seat. Once the chair was well wrapped, I sat in it and I noted that the most stressed seam will be at the very top front. I plan to interface those sections and double stitch.
When making a test slip-cover, check the assembly and make sure that there is ample fabric for seam allowances. On my curved rocker, I decided to deepen the sides at the seat and lengthen the back piece at the foot. I made those corrections to the mock-up, and once satisfied I marked alignment symbols where the sections met. My mock gets a pass and the next step is to cut out my new upholstery.